[HOT] HOT Scholarship to SotM? Opinions? Ideas? Thoughts?

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Apr 17 23:17:39 BST 2012

Hi All,

I was thinking about the idea of HOT providing a scholarship to one of
its members to SotM. This is just in the idea phase, meaning I haven't
discussed it with anyone.

I wanted to get some feedback on what people think of the idea. Is
that a useful expenditure of money?  Should the money be better spent
buying imagery or sending GPS units to areas that don't have them?

Second if it is a good idea what would be a fair method of determining
who should go? My thought was an open application process and letting
people vote or rank people or something like that. The way the regular
scholarships have worked for SotM in the past is that a committee
assigned points to the entries.  I don't really like this idea for
this particular type of scholarship though.

Once again, this was just a "random Kate idea" not anything that is
solid right now.  I just wanted to get some feedback.

-Kate