[HOT] HOT Scholarship to SotM? Opinions? Ideas? Thoughts?

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 03:28:45 BST 2012

We too (OSM Philippines) are looking for ways to support (partially) a
delegation to attend the conference.  This is a rare opportunity for
SOTM to be in Asia (although still expensive by asian standards).
If you can also share ideas where we can get funds or submit travel
grant proposals?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking about the idea of HOT providing a scholarship to one of
> its members to SotM. This is just in the idea phase, meaning I haven't
> discussed it with anyone.
>
> I wanted to get some feedback on what people think of the idea. Is
> that a useful expenditure of money?  Should the money be better spent
> buying imagery or sending GPS units to areas that don't have them?
>
> Second if it is a good idea what would be a fair method of determining
> who should go? My thought was an open application process and letting
> people vote or rank people or something like that. The way the regular
> scholarships have worked for SotM in the past is that a committee
> assigned points to the entries.  I don't really like this idea for
> this particular type of scholarship though.
>
> Once again, this was just a "random Kate idea" not anything that is
> solid right now.  I just wanted to get some feedback.
>
> -Kate

cheers,
maning