[HOT] Meeting with WB about MapMaker?

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 01:54:23 GMT 2012

This maybe true, especially in areas where there is limited data or
the only data is GMM.

> They're not choosing Google over
> OSM, they're trying to use all tools that are available to fight
> poverty.  OSM is one tool, GMM is another.  GMM has some an undeniable
> advantage, its popularity.

On the other hand, I am more concerned about the rapid availability of
the data in GMM especially during crisis.
We don't know the specifics of the MoU, but given the current
situation in GMM, some things should be clarified (other than the
license of course)
 - You need to have your edits moderated.  Is it possible to speed up
approvals in a crisis situation.
 - Access to GIS data.  Can they provide rapid access to the data?
Much like what Michal mentioned?
> Meanwhile, I think partnering should correspond to some kind of fast lane treatment, with speedier special tiles or more frequent outputs for disaster-affected areas. Shapefiles, PDFs, the whole lot.

Last time I checked (today), map maker shapefile download [0] is "Last
updated 18 April 2011, 18 African countries; Rest: Feb 4, 2010"

[0] https://services.google.com/fb/forms/mapmakerdatadownload/

--
cheers,
maning