[HOT] Recommendations for cheap "passive GPS trackers" / vehicle mountable GPS loggers?

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Tue Feb 21 12:29:42 GMT 2012

Hi!

Today (Tuesday, February 21, 2012) at 07:18 Guttorm Flatabø chipped in:
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Jaakko Helleranta.com <jaakko at helleranta.com> wrote:
>>    Could someone recommend essentially GPS logger solutions that

> Some time ago I bought the cheapest logger available on Dealextreme:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-gps-rechargeable-65-channel-data-logger-dongle-black-58695
>    at 26 USD worldwide, incl. shipping.

> The advantage of the one on Dealextreme is the price. Apart from
> that, there's not much that can go wrong I suppose. But as for
> accuracy it is probably not among the best.

It's really cheap. However, my experiences with cheap devices is, that
you can't rely on their results. One day, you get a good recording,
and the other day you get complete crap. They use cheap chipsets,
and - what's worse - cheap antennas.
If satellite positions or sky view is suboptimal, they start recording
fantasy-coordinates. And you cannot tell the difference (you cross a
mountain, one one side the track is accurate, on the other side it has
up to a few hundred meters offset).

Of course also devices are sometimes inaccurate, if conditions are
bad. But they still return useful data.

I recommend to use cheap devices only if you plan mass usage, so that
you'll get at least three (better five) tracks for each road.
Otherwise, please invest in quality!

--
Bye Bye,
   Boris