[HOT] Computer Lab Ideas

Reinier Battenberg reinier.battenberg at mountbatten.net
Mon Feb 27 10:31:27 GMT 2012

Hi,

A few tips on the lab:

- With RemasterSys you can create your own Ubuntu distro. Throw in all the GIS
software you need and you have the perfect way of reflashing PCs (plus you can
give every NGO visitor a free CD to try this at home).
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html

- You dont need an Apple to edit simple movies anymore. For Ubuntu, have a
look at this www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/
and choose what you like (then include it in your remastersys CD)

- For data retention, i would add a simple NAS with redundant disks. Data
retention and backups is all about processes though, so make sure you have one
that can run on and on after you leave.
http://www.synology.com or netgear have devices.
(buy an external disk too, to backup the NAS)
You probably want a UPS with this, just to make sure your disks dont get
corrupted when power fails)

- Using a simple Proxy server really saves bandwidth. (all your 5 laptops are
going to open FB in the morning). We save about 30% of our bandwidth by
running IPCop on a (low power) inveo machine.
Am not a crack in this stuff, but I think it might be possible to do at least
some caching running DD-WRT on your wireless router. http://www.dd-wrt.com/

Good luck!

--
rgds,