[HOT] HOT presentations for non-GIS, non-OSM types

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Thu Jan 5 18:20:55 GMT 2012

Hi Richard,

I have a bunch of presentations up here:
http://www.slideshare.net/wonderchook/presentations

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:

> things i think i need:
>
> 1) a taxonomy of HOT projects
>    Haiti (disaster response) is one thing, what Kate is doing in
>    Indonesia is clearly a different thing. what are the different
>    types of projects that HOT is doing? are there any things HOT
>    would like to be doing that aren't currently being done?
>    are there any projects that haven't been done due to
>    resource restrictions? (people or funding?)

Really there are two main types of projects.  Disaster response and
disaster preparedness, then within that remote response and on the
ground response.  Our main projects on the ground are in Haiti and
Indonesia.  We've responded remotely in those places as well and
additionally in Somalia, the Ivory Coast and the Philippines to name a
few.

As far as projects we would like to do that aren't currently being
done, I think a lot of that is specific to various countries.  We have
the concept of a "HOT kit" we've used this a lot in Haiti.  One costs
about 4,000 dollars and it is basically an all in one mapping kit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiiWbdZM9wnIdEZIWW5yLWRrdjl0WGN1MXIxRkxGVkE&hl=en#gid=3

By having more equipment and resources to go to specific countries we
would be able to do more.  An example is the Philippines, Maning has
been doing a great job coordinate response there.  It would be great
to be able to provide GPS units though.

In addition to hardware being able to go on training missions also can
help with disaster preparedness.  We've done everything from 2 weeks
to 2 months at a go for this.  By being able to show people how to use
the hardware they can use it more effectively.

> 2) a brief timeline with featured projects. Obviously Haiti is
>    one, what are some others that belong on the short list?

Jan 2010 - current : Haiti
March 2011 - current: disaster preparedness in Indonesia

There have been a lot of remote responses.  I think the best ones to
look at are:

Ivory Coast
Turkey
Philippines
Japan

Maybe others can fill in ones I missed.

> 3) i would like to feature Haiti as an example of HOT in action.
>    what are the things that should specifically be brought out
>    in such a presentation?

I think for Haiti the most important points are:

-Began as a remote spontaneous response of the OpenStreetMap Community
-HOT began traveling in March 2010 to base the knowledge to people
locally in Haiti
-Community OpenStreetMap Haiti has developed out of that work and is
the local chapter of OSM there.  HOT continues to support them there
and we are about to jointly begin a project in St. Marc
-OpenStreetMap has been used beyond just the initial response phase.
After the cholera outbreak the mapping capacity already in existence
was able to switch to mapping potential treatment facilities, later
this was able to switch to mapping hurricane shelters and other items
related to disaster risk reduction.

> 4) what are the typical costs involved in projects HOT does?
>    (Rotary International is a potential source of funding, one
>    reason why i'm experimenting with pitching HOT to Rotary Clubs.)

This is really going to vary by project and country.  I think an ideal
project would involve multiple trips to one country and partnership
with a local organization (I assume perhaps the local Rotary club)?
We've been budgetting a single two week mission with hardware to cost
about $20,000 USD.  Though if we planned multiple missions that
obviously could change depending on needs.

Best,

-Kate