[HOT] Feedback about smartphones use for OSM field surveys

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Wed Jun 13 12:22:03 BST 2012

Hi Stéphane!

No comments on 'garmin vs. logger', I second every word.

> ... SIRF III, despite your  warning... would be interested to read
> why you warn against it?

Sirf3 was designed years ago, and is technically somewhat outdated.
Recent chipsets offer a significantly better input gain which leads to
better results, esp. in bad conditions. Also the algorithms to filter
signal reflections from buildings (the main reason for low accuracy in
towns) have improved the past years.

But the most important thing is: sirf3 was designed with car
navigation in mind.

In its factory configuration it is definitely unsuited for other
tasks like logging while walking or cycling. It tries to smoothen the
track and eliminates all moves a car wouldn't do, like sharp turns.
It even stops recording until you have reached a speed of 5 km/h or
travelled a distance of approx. 20m.

These features can be turned off, but the software to do so is hard to
get, undocumented and there is actually a chance to brick your device.
Also there are far too many parameters to set, so a non-pro will never
be able to fine tune his device.

I have been using a sirf3 powered TomTom receiver before I bought the
WBT202, and was stunned that it got completely confused sometimes (it
usually needed 2 minutes to catch up from a sudden u-turn).

Doubtlessly Garmin has tuned the chip to be useful for their devices,
however you cannot expect the same from every manufacturer.

I don't know the setup program for MTK chips, but the one for UBlox is
really user friendly, it offers presets for all use cases. Also the
modern chips are far more flexible in every preset, so fine tuning is
not that important any longer.

--
Bye Bye,
   Boris

Today (Wednesday, June 13, 2012) at 09:07 you dropped the lines: