[HOT] Incorrect sketching and tagging

Big Fat Frog bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 23:28:00 BST 2012

See my comments inline:

On 21/06/2012 18:30, Jaakko Helleranta.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Big Fat Frog <bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com
> <mailto:bigfatfrog67 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     While mapping "Lombok Island" and also validating others' work I've
>     noticed a recent tendancy for some to double sketch.  I've seen
>     duplicate tags for Mosques right next to each other, I've seen
>     residential areas traced on top of each other and I've seen roads
>     traced on top of each other!  Are there and computerised processes
>     adding these features without seeing the human added versions or are
>     people simply doing stuff
>

> Have you contacted the mapper(s) who are doing the duplication? That's a
> good place to start.

No, I wanted to see what the group thought might be happening first.  I
don't like targetting anyone unless it's very obvious they've done
something wrong that desperately needs correcting.  We're all volunteers
so...

>     Also, there is a common habit by some to tag "Residential Roads" and
>     "Living Streets".  Please not the differences between the two as
>     they are quite different,  a "Living Street" is not a road people
>     live on. Maybe this is a English translation issue. A "Residential
>     Road" is a road with predominately houses on it.  A "Living Street"
>     is a road where no one road user has a priority over others.  As far
>     as I know it is exclusively found in Western cities/towns who
>     seeking to bring pedestrians and cyclist back into town centres.
>

> Yea. That's what the wiki says. .. We've had some discussion about the
> living_street tag usage in Haiti related to discussion on how roads that
> are usually crowded by people, merchants, etc (and are not very passable
> drive-through roads) should be tagged. The "idea" of the living_street
> would feel to match the "situation on the ground" quite well and hence I
> and a few others have started (still somewhat limited but growing) use
> of the tag here.
> To clarify, what I mean is that while there isn't a law that gives
> pedestrians right-of-way over vehicles in these roads it's _very_ clear
> that vehicles _must_ give way to pedestrians in such ways -- if they
> don't want to be thrown rocks at or other inconveniences.
>
> Would there be other sensible solutions to tagging bits of road that
> (more or less) clearly match the "ethos" of the living_street (in the
> developing world mostly, I'd assume)?
>
> Cheers from Haiti,
> -Jaakko

Mmmmm, is Highway=Pedestrian no good for that? or if there are traders
then amenity=marketplace + highway=unclassified? It's very difficult to
take an unstructered environment with no rules and put it into a
database dependant on rules!  What you really need is highway=freeforall ;-)