[HOT] Editing grids

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 11:08:47 BST 2012

Yes I think editing conflicts are something that technical people naturally worry about, but it's never been such a big problem actually.

Back in the early days I remember people would often say that mappers should be treating it like checking code into CVS:  Do downloads regularly to update your data from the state on the server, then finally do a download immediately prior to uploading, fix your conflicts (This can include checking if anything new appeared in your area, creating a duplicate with new data you are just about to upload), and only upload when it's all fixed. There's probably some fastidious mappers who still stick to this approach, but we came to realise that it's a bit confusing to explain to newbies, and 99% of the time it's unnecessary. It turns out conflicts just don't happen that often.

However...

Experienced HOTties should be aware of the old download before upload recommendation. If you have reason to believe that a conflict is more likely than normal, then it's a good idea to do it. e.g.  if you're editing in an area *immediately* after an announcement/call to action,  or if you have held your data in JOSM for more than an hour since originally downloading. This is no doubt common on an intermittent internet connection, but also if you're doing a mammoth mapping session you might keep in mind how long ago it was that you fetched the data from the server.

There's even a "file" menu "Update data", which is specifically designed for this. It re-downloads all the same areas you originally downloaded.

However I don't think we should push this as a massively important recommendation. It's more important to remind everyone to "upload early, upload often". And doubly more important to not be frightened of contributing. Be bold!  And this includes more experienced mappers being bold about scooting around fixing stuff up across the wider areas covered by these tasking manager jobs.  ...as I said in a blog post: http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2012-06-22_finishing_off_the_refugee_camp_mapping

Harry