[HOT] Re : Blog post about last weeks Camp Roberts/RELIEF Mapping

Fran Boon francisboon at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:03:01 BST 2012

On 31 May 2012 13:48, Harry Wood <mail at harrywood.co.uk> wrote:
> But anyway we can learn from it. The chat room feature on MapCraft isn't all
> that useful. It's quite well implemented. Also used as a sort notification
> panel for things like "user X has taken area number 12". But...   we mostly
> miss each other, and leave messages for eachother there rather than doing
> live chat,  or we do live chat because we were just live chatting on IRC two
> seconds earlier (not achieving much).
> So I'm thinking a chatroom feature on the tasking manager might be more
> lively and better used if it was simply a view onto the #hot IRC channel.
>  This would also make the IRC channel more lively and better used.

+1 - although we also want a log available
This doesn't replace the need for a an area to curate the output -
which should be as open as possible, suggesting the Wiki...which
should always have a page linked 1-click from the Tasking manager
page...

> Thinking wider...  maybe a chatroom on the tasking manager website is the
> wrong place for it. How about a chat plugin for JOSM? It maybe fits into
> ideas of making OSM more sociable in general

Not everyone uses JOSM
JOSM is a wider OSM tool, whereas Tasking-manager is HOT-specific