[HOT] Remote mapping tagging

Séverin MENARD severin.menard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:17:15 BST 2012

IMHO it is tricky to categorize strictly what is urban and what is rural.
In France for example we have geographic concepts called "periurban" and
"rurban" describing various intermediate situations. And I think it might
be even more blurred in developing countries. In addition, rural=unpaved
seems quite categoric.

highway=road is temporary indeed, mostly used for imagery based mapping
when it seems difficult to state any other information than the existence
of a road. With the improvement of the imagery resolution, more and more we
are able to state the paved/unpaved status of the roads and thus to put
more precise tags.