[HOT] Follow-up on Activation for Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 13 22:39:57 UTC 2013

Up to date, 1,641 voluntary contributors from 82 countries have made
more than 4,550,900 OSM Map changes for the Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan
Activation ! And this activation is still going. While some teams start to deploy for more analysis on the ground, we should also look how to better contribute for these actions.

Following the devastating Yolanda / Haiyan Typhoon, lost of communications with remote islands and dispersed populations in a large area is
quite a challenge for the rescue teams. There were still reports this week of areas where
people did not receive any help yet. For the OSM community, to respond to this complex Activation the imagery, both pre and post disaster, is a key factor of
 the success of this Activation.  The HOT / Philippines coordination Team and the various humanitarian
partners whith which we collaborate are
still looking to identify the remote islands, to obtain the necessary imagery
and map.  Thanks to the HIU unit of the US State Dept. who facilitates our access to these imageries and negociate with the imagery providers to assure that we will have a constant access to the imagery.  They look presently at the possibility to extend the imagery license for an other 30 days. They have also made a tremendous effort to identify the available imagery, pre and post-disaster for the various zones were we need imagery.

The OSM community has showed his capacity in this Activation to react quickly, to coordinate remote mappers from 82 countries and provide maps, including both pre and post-disaster elements. Ten days after the Typhoon, printed maps were delivered to the field teams arriving in Tacloban. This, while coordinating with the US Red Cross, OCHA, GFDRR Labs at World Bank,and various other partners.  There are surely some improvements we can look at when this Activation is ended, but globally, the OSM community and the various groups we collaborated with should be proud of what has been accomplished.

While various teams start to deploy for field studies, there will be a two hour workshop sunday at the SotM-PH in Manilla where Maning Sambale and Kate Chapman will be present. The objective of the workshop is to discuss the next steps regarding response and recovery for the Yolanda / Haiyan Typhoon. It would be great for the local and the international community to be able to connect. The workshop is from 10am-noon Manila time which is 2am-4am GMT. If some people from America and Europe can join this workshop,that will be great.  We will come back to you later to indicate how to participate to the workshop and we should try to have a log of these discussions.
See the time schedule at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131215T10&p1=145&ah=2

Thanks for your contribution.

Pierre

Activation Team
Andrew Buck
Maning Sambale
Pierre Béland

Discussions, Support on irc://irc.oftc.net #hot

To contribute you can look at the two servers where jobs are available :
http://tasks.hotosm.org/#featured/haiyan
http://tasks2.hotosm.org/#featured/haiyan