[HOT] CAR Activation; experienced mappers to finish the import of UNICEF data?

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 12:15:24 UTC 2013

Hi, Séverin:

I will be glad to collaborate in this import.

Its wiki is very clear, but I have a small question:

In the UNICEF import wiki it says, in the "Roads" subsection (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_CAR_UNICEF_workflow#Roads ),
that if a road doesn't exist, we can use the workflow for the WRI data
import.

In the "Road network" section of the WRI import wiki it says the job
will be coordinated through the job http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/219 ,
but once you go there, there is a note that says: THIS JOB IS
UNDERTAKEN BY A SPECIFIC TEAM, PLEASE DO NO PROCESS IT.

What to do then?

I can start working with the UNICEF import, but will ignore that road
WRI import for the time being, to save time.

Cheers,

Rafael Ávila.

On 21/12/13 23:52, Severin MENARD wrote:
> [...]
> a GIS layer with 6,849 places, with this metadata: "SIGCAF was a
> GIS effort conducted in 1996 and correspond with the 2003 census,
> with cartography prepared in 1:200,000 scale, on admin boundaries,
> as well as village locations. Village locations were taken with GPS
> in a systematic way." Unfortunately, as the source of this data is
> mixed and sometimes unknow, it appeared to be not compatible with
> ODbL and thus cannot be imported in OSM. The only ODbL compatible
> gazeeter known so far is the NGA Country file (GNS) for CAR, that
> counts 17,000+ places (not only populated, but also hydrographic,
> administrative, vegetation, etc., as explained in the metadata). It
> is unfortunately, generally outdated and tests showed the accuracy
> is not very precise, but nevertheless it is a good source of
> information to be compared with the places hold in the UNICEF
> humanitarian data (see the import section). The data will be
> proposed on a specific Tasking Manager job as a downloadable file
> gathering the Populated Place spread into each grid extent. Most of
> time each populated place is close to a specific populated landuse
> visible on Bing imagery. Towns, villages and hamlets have to be
> create at their exact location, approximately in the middle of the
> populated landuse. This latter has to drawn and tagged and a
> landuse=residential.</strike> [modifier] Quality control You can
> participate by checking the mistakes with Keep Right! or Osmose.
> [modifier] Data Imports Information on CAR Imports is listed on
> separate pages, and led by HOT and the EUROSHA volunteers. See: CAR
> Imports Central Africa Import [modifier] Central African Republic
> GIS data Access the HOT Exports service and create exports jobs to
> get GIS data on various formats. Here is a link for Bangui and
> Zongo. Check also above in the Mapping of affected cities and towns
> spreadsheet to get direct links. Note: Jobs before April have
> topological errors, so download data from April. Start a new run to
> get up-to-date GIS data within a few minutes. The map of Central
> African Republic for GPS Garmin devices. Please find here how to
> install this map on the GPS Garmin's micro SDcard. Common and
> Fundamental Operational Datasets on the site of OCHA. Interactive
> Forest Atlas for Central African Republic of the World Resource
> Institute. [modifier] Imagery & sources Bing coverage for Central
> African Republic is available at a high resolution in many areas
> including Bangui, Bangassou,Bamingui, Berberati, Bambari,
> Batangafo, Bria, Kabo, Kaga-Bandoro, Ippy, Birao, Mbaiki, Ndele,
> Mrbes, Ouadda, Ouanda Ndjalle and Zemio. The imagery is relatively
> recent (2011). Bambari is not covered by high resolution Bing
> imagery but there are 2 Orbview-3 images covering it. These two
> images, with enhanced contrast, are available online from
> OpenStreetMap France imagery server, as TMS and WMS. For JOSM, add
> the following TMS supplier in Preferences/WMS-TMS/+ :

For Potlatch2, add the following background: