[HOT] Droid app for mapping

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 10:31:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

Coming off from a training with the staff of a local government, we
realized that there are more smartphones than GPS units.
As an initial test, we showed them how to use the default phototagging
feature as a tool for collecting field data.  In some cases,
this turned out to be unreliable which I already encountered in the past [0].

Our plan is to create a learning material about using smartphones
(preferably free download, opensource and, android-based) we can
distribute to the participants.
What OSM mapping app do you use for your phones?

So far I've seen the following:
1. GPS Essentials - too many features IMO and can overwhelm new users
2. OSMAnd - good offline maps routable map based on OSM, haven't
tested the mapping tools other than the OSMbug reporting
3. GPSlogger - simple lightweight datalogger
4. Keypadmapper - only for housenumber mapping, I've seen a mention of
phototagging in newer versions but haven't tested.
5. OSMtracker - not yet tested
6. Vespucci - not yet tested

Any other app?

[0] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/maning/diary/17935