[HOT] imagery request coordination tool

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Fri Apr 4 19:13:28 UTC 2014

Mikel -

Right on, we need to work on coordinating imagery needs in emergencies.

I've been involved a couple of times in the past in sourcing imagery for
emergencies and the key challenge for someone who's between the responding
community and potential sources like e. g. Digital Globe is to:

a) find out what is needed
b) find out who is already trying to source what is needed

The resulting confusion are me sending out obnoxiously duplicative
questions in times where I shouldn't waste people's time.

As the specs for a software tool are coming together here I have a
suggestion for a very bare minimum measure:

Use a Github repo and issues for requesting imagery. Each issue should
describe the imagery needed with a http://geojson.io/ polygon describing
the extent and should say what resolution is needed / purpose the imagery
is needed for. There is one repo per incident. As soon as someone starts
sourcing imagery they should say so on the corresponding issue.

You could easily iterate from such a practice to a more integrated tool.

Alex