[HOT] FW: Message OSM + points villages MSF

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 02:10:46 UTC 2014

Ok, I have finished merging in the names from the shapefile you sent
me.  The changeset for the merge is listed below.  I added
source=MSF-CH to both the changeset and the nodes themselves (maybe a
bit redundant but that was what I did).  The changeset consisted of
193 new place names to add, 176 existing nodes that are either moved
to a new position or had their tags changed or both (and 4 nodes I
deleted, 2 were correct 2 need to be undeleted as I seem to have
accidentally deleted them somehow).  Thanks to Paul Norman and Jaakkoh
for helping me with the undelet work.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21788686

In total there were 358 objects in the shapefile you sent me.  I
manually checked each one and for any that had nothing at all in OSM
already I just dumped them straight in.  For the ones that already had
a name in OSM spelled identically I just merged the nodes so that the
position is taken from the MSF node and any old tags like alt_name or
the GNS unique feature ID get copied over (this lets you cross
reference your own database against the GNS database if you want).

There were about 100 or so towns which had entries already in OSM with
slightly different spellings, in these cases I just merged the nodes
and switched the OSM spelling to alt_name and used your names for the
name=* field (except for a few cases where the accenting was better on
the OSM version so I kept that in name and added yours as an alt_name).

There were about 10 or so places where OSM already had a town name but
that name was very different from the MSF name.  In these cases I kept
both nodes and added a 'fixme' and 'note' tag to explain the
situation.  Those towns can be found in the query below.  It would be
good if someone from MSF could have a look through these and see if
they can fix any of them.  The query below will pull in all of these
nodes plus all place nodes within 500 meters of them so you can see
the towns that were already in OSM that got me confused.  If you click
the 'export' button at teh top you can load the data from this
overpass query directly into josm through the remote control by
clicking the 'josm' link on the export window that pops up.

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/36P

The only question I had was regarding some of the names you provided.
 About 10 or so had a town name followed by the word 'Center' or
'Centre'.  I am wondering if this 'Center' should be deleted from the
name or left as it is.  You can see an overpass query of these nodes
at the link below if you want to see the actual names.

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/36R

So aside from that no major problems.  If you want to see all the
names that have been added from MSF (both in this block and the first
ones you gave us for Guekedou) you can see them at the following query:

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/36S

Thanks for all of this data, it is really interesting to get results
like this back from the field.  Not only are your town names now
merged into a much larger database allowing your teams to more
accurately find place names by searching, but they also help us find
mistakes in our own data (there were a couple I found that the topo
maps had wrong, or that we had wrongly located), and we also get
alternate spellings on a lot of places to which makes you more likely
to find a place when you search for it in OSM.

- -AndrewBuck