[HOT] HOT #777 (East Cameroon) feature identification: residential or farmyard?

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 02:23:30 UTC 2014

I find the whole area to be remarkable and lovely in the aerial imagery.

But specifically to althio's question about what makes someone think
they are animal tracks: Animal tracks would not have been my first
thought either, but once suggested I think some of the paths and
tracks in the area started looking a lot like animal tracks to me too.

Here is a really nice area right around those settlements that I think
is covered in animal paths and tracks:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/4.41335/13.89073 (Mapbox
imagery)

There are what look like dozens of animal paths coming together to go
into the trees on the west side of the area where I am guessing there
is a watering hole, in addition to one well worn highway=track (maybe)
going NE'ish.

And 1.5km ESE of the that watering area are again, what look to me
like dozens of animal paths going out to a grazing area. I would guess
they are animal tracks because there are so many, jaggy little paths,
mostly faint and they seem to just sort of go to nowhere, not crops or
anything. But when the animal paths all converge, aside from the
general "jaggedness" of the path they make and the nonsense layout,
are almost indistinguishable from man made highway=track.

It is a really interesting and educational area, thank you again for sharing it.