[HOT] Tech WG - tasking manager - workflow branch

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 09:51:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

    Thanks for your work on this - I like the interface, in particular
the ability to see which squares you have worked on, & to be able to
select them again - particularly helpful if you realise you've been
doing something slightly wrong (I'm sure we've all been there!) & you
want to go back & correct it on all the instances involved.
    Splitting squares - I do it frequently, based upon how long I am
likely to be able to map without interruptions. I prefer not to leave a
square for someone else to finish off, and my life can have frequent
interruptions. My workflow now consists of - select a square, quick look
& if there are sufficient features to mean it will take me more than 20
minutes to complete, then split it. There's a very good chance I will
manage to do 3/4 of a whole square without an interruption, and I feel
better if I've left 3 smaller squares as complete so that a following
mapper just has a 'blank' square to work on.
    .gpx traces & waypoints, and further information. This probably
exists somewhere, but I just haven't found it yet, but is there some
system for dealing with someone on the ground uploading actual waypoints
as opposed to simple gpx traces. When you upload a gpx trace to OSM it
strips away any waypoints you may have created. OSMTracker, most gps's &
other software can produce excellent information for adding to the maps,
such as type of way - primary/secondary/tertiary/unclassified/path etc.,
waypoints for the exact location of drinking water taps, wells, & road
blocks.
    I'd like to see the squares of a task identified individually such
as C:8, similar method to squares on a chess board, and I'd like to be
able to see the date the square was marked as complete, and date of
validation.
  If I use Bangui , job 72, as an example, as the distinctions are more
obvious, but a similar problem must have occurred with Yolanda as
different versions of imagery became available . Since work first
started on this task, the Bing imagery has been updated. Some squares
have been mapped & validated using one version of Bing, and some with a
more recent. If the date information was available, it may be easier &
for whoever is validating to mark all squares completed before a certain
date for remapping.

Validation
    We may be better going for a different thread on this until there is
some kind of consensus on what is needed. I have my own views. Comments
in emails indicate there are more and more mappers getting involved in
HOT, and I would like to see us developing our skills so we become more
useful to you.
    I'd like to see the stage reached whereby a large number of mappers
for HOT are 'accredited' as validators, and only they are able to
validate. It may be that they work as mappers most of the time, and only
rarely validate. When there is a large scale activation, such as the
Typhoon Haiyan, a message could be sent out to all on the HOT mailing
list asking that all accredited validators assist in validating the
efforts of the influx of other mappers. I'd like to aim for an area
being mapped, and then validated very soon afterwards, with feedback
given to the mapper involved.
    If there are lots of validators working on a task then you need some
method of seeing what has been validated, and what has not. I agree that
another layer of validation after this, looking at the 'big picture'
instead of small squares, is needed to improve the quality of the map
information, but the individual square method can improve our abilities
as mappers.
    If someone is validating a square I've worked on, I'd like them to
be able to send me a message something like "Thanks for working on
square C:8 of task 500023. There are a number of islands in the river of
this square, and paths leading to the rivers edge. This may indicate a
crossing, but the islands are not showing on the map. If you use
relation 18323231, it is possible to draw round the islands, tag them as
'place-island', and add them to the relation - more information on this
is available at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon.  Would you
prefer to add these islands yourself so you get the practice, or should
I mark the square for further work by another. If I hear nothing from
you by 01/01/2014 I will mark the square for further action by another.
etc.."

Thanks for reading

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

Mapping volunteer 'Tallguy' for http://www.openstreetmap.org
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/>

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)