[HOT] [CrisisMappers] Mapping South Sudan on OSM

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 19:22:18 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

Just an update on the status of several of the villages mentioned in
the thread below.  The following BBC article lists several recent
developments in the areas we are mapping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25771597

We should continue to map Malakal I think, and should decide what to
do about the town of Rubkona, in Unity State, as apparently it has
been largely burned down.  We don't have recent imagery of Rubkona but
it looks like we do have bing imagery for the area so we could at
least map what was there before it was burned, this would help in
determining how many people might have been killed or displaced from
their homes.

- -AndrewBuck

On 01/17/2014 08:03 AM, Yann REBOIS wrote:
> Hi, As mentioned to Severin in bilateral, the work done by HOT OSM
> as preparedness and as baseline dataset is useful.  Eg for getting
> a percentage of damaged buildings with recent sat images where we
> get the damaged buildings. if the exercise is fully done as well it
> could be useful for the monitoring of the reconstruction. The work
> is engaged in Malakal at least we have seen some buildings, keep
> going on! thanks to OSM digitizers Yann
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Brendan O'Hanrahan
> <lbjmaudit at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Séverin
>>
>> just wondering whether it's worth now setting up a task for
>> Minkamman (also spelt Mingkaman, Mingkamen etc) in Awerial
>> county, where most of the 80,000 or so IDPs fleeing from Bor are
>> being looked after at the moment, though Awerial village/town is
>> also quite important for this. It's pretty small, but still would
>> be good to get a better picture of tracks and settlement there if
>> possible.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Brendan
>>

>> 2014/1/9 Severin MENARD <severin.menard at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Today a GISCorps <http://giscorps.org/> team of almost 20
>>> people led by Heather Milton and David Litke has started to
>>> contribute to map South Sudan in OSM. They will work on Malakal
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malakal>. Thank you so much for
>>> your contribution GISCorps!
>>>
>>> I would also like to thank all the OSM contributors who just
>>> finished
>>> Bentiu<http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2613802518#map=13/9.2664/29.7936>.

I featured another Tasking Manager job, over the town of
Mundri<http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/398>,