[HOT] Requesting a Task for mapping forest tracks in Portugal

Marcos Oliveira marcosoliveira.2405 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 12:09:56 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

The Portuguese OSM community <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Portugal>
is looking to map the forest tracks of places that are under the highest
risk of fire (link 1 <http://scrif.igeo.pt/cartografiacrif/2007/crif07.htm>
), (link 2
<http://www.dgterritorio.pt/cartografia_e_geodesia/cartografia/cartografia_tematica/cartas_de_risco/>),
you can find the mailing list topic that started the discussion here
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-pt/2014-July/000854.html>.

The reason I'm discussing this issue with the HOT community is because that
this past week, on the 1st of July, "Operation Charlie" began in Portugal
<https://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.pt%2Finicio%2Finterior.aspx%3Fcontent_id%3D664471&edit-text=>
which
is a code name used by firefighters to mark the most dangerous period of
the year.

This years' risk of fire is exacerbated by the fact that this winter was
the most wet since 1931
<https://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noticiasaominuto.com%2Fpais%2F237337%2Fultimo-inverno-foi-mais-chuvoso-e-quente-do-que-o-normal&edit-text=>
and
it has caused an unusual amount of flora to grow, this can cause more
problems for firemen
<https://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamegasousa.pt%2Finverno-chuvoso-nao-diminuiu-risco-de-incendios-florestais-dizem-os-comandantes-dos-bombeiros-marco-e-de-baltar%2F&edit-text=>
than
usual.

So, knowing there's a very high risk of fires this summer, the Portuguese
community is mobilizing to map tracks (information that rarely exists in
other maps) and to deliver this information to all firefighter
organizations.

Having this all in mind, I concluded that using the OSM Tasking Manager
would be the best way to organize our efforts.

Personally, I'm afraid of the possibility of a devastation equal to what
the 2003 heat wave
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave#Portugal> wrought.
So we the Portuguese community wanted to act preemptively before the real
emergency begins.

--
Um Abraço,
Marcos Oliveira