[HOT] Launching the hot mailing list in French

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:26:34 UTC 2014

Hi Heather,

I am a bit surprised by your reaction, it seems you do not know well how
the OSM lists work. Any group can ask OSMF (Mike Collinson is in charge of
this) to create one, about a specific topic and/or a specific location.
Here is the whole list of OSM talk lists:

As you can see, there are very specific lists like eg Talk-gb-oxoncotswolds
for Oxford, Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds in GB or Talk-it-trentino for the
Trentino in Italy. These lists have been created by locals or people
specifically interested in these regions; creating it does not require the
permission of an "upper list" that would be the country one or the general
talk list (without suffix). Regarding your background, you could eg create
an OSM-Ushahidi list to discuss about the interactions between OSM and
Ushahidi (and this would not be a bad idea at all), knowing that many
people would join.

Are you really suggesting setting a public, open OSM list allowing a
potential +200 million people to raise their voices on humanitarian and
development topics should have been decided by a board or people outside
them? Or that we should make a general survey (in English) to state if
Spanish, French, Portuguese or Swahili speakers will be allowed or not to
have a list in their language? This does not fit with OSM. This hot list in
French is actually something that is in the minds and wished for years.

Otherwise I do take care about communicating about this when it starts,
this is the aim of my message, so that this larger (I mean larger because
many could not participate before in hot discussions and now will join)
community (and not separated communities) can collaborate efficiently.

Hope these points are more clear for you.

Sincerely,

Severin
 <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb-oxoncotswolds>