[HOT] Launching the hot mailing list in French

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Jul 11 11:01:14 UTC 2014

As mentioned, I create the OSM lists, so I hope these neutral
observations help the discussion:

Yes, indeed the OSM list system works in as loose and free-wheeling
manner as possible along the support-but-not-control mission of the
OSMF.  So unless I can think of a really strong reason, I just go ahead
and create whatever list is requested provided that it is in some way
OSM-related and that it is free for anyone to join and participate
subject to etiquette guidelines.  I may nudge and suggest a bit, for
example a better name or pointing out a potential overlap with another
list, but that is all. To my recollection, I've only sought board
guidance once. For OSM Just Do It ethos, it works well.

However, I can see a number of reasons why a little time for HOT to
discuss and have a good collective strategy is a good thing:

1) We (OpenStreetMap) do draw a firm distinction between OSM and OSMF,
i.e. a broad community with fuzzy membership and a, well, bureaucratic
organisation with with specific finite membership. In line with that,
our osmf-* lists are only generated after broader discussion and may
involve board sanction.  Should HOT reflect that distinction in some way?

2) When OpenStreetMap started, we did not explicitly consider branding.
So it is not always clear what "OpenStreetMap" refers to. That can be a
good thing, someone starts a weird project, it turns out to be useful
and is absorbed into the OSM universe. But it can be a bad thing if
someone represents themselves to governmental or commercial
organisations in a way that might be damaging to the overall project.
So, having a discussion over about some control over who and how folks
can use the word "HOT" or "Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team" is worth having?

lists have an extra layer in that they are effectively being hosted by a
sister organisation that HOT has no control over. Should HOT have any
ground rules that I can be guided by?

Mike