[HOT] Launching the hot mailing list in French

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 16:36:13 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

Back in February 2010, I sent Mike Collinson an email to set up this list.

> At 04:47 PM 24/02/2010, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Mike
> We have a need for a list just focused on Humanitarian OSM Team ... can you set that up?
> hot at openstreetmap.org is what we're thinking.
> Thanks
> Mikel

We think this has worked out pretty well, right? :) This was after a tremendous amount of community activity and consideration.

The idea of hot-francophone raises a lot of questions, that deserve the time for us as a community to consider.

* Do we envision every language group working within HOT to set up its own language list? hot-indonesian? hot-philippines?
* How would local language HOT lists interact with country level lists?
* How would coordination and communication between mailing lists be managed?

* Are we in danger of having only French speakers involved in HOT activities in Francophone countries?
* Are there other alternatives to consider again, that we've used ok in the past, like the practice of including Google Translations in posts?

We should discuss these things together. No matter what your native language, there's something to consider here. Let's get together and talk and come to consensus about the best way forward. I call on someone to organize an IRC meeting next week, perhaps as a meeting of the Communication Working Group. Providing these forums for our collective discussion and decision making is part of what HOT does.

Which, like all Working Groups, is open to everyone in the HOT community. Please, we need you!

And about OSM mailing lists, from my 9 years experience in the project, I don't think we have a precedent to hot-francophone. All OSM mailing lists come out of community discussion. We're still lacking that discussion regarding HOT communication channels. If you look over the lists at https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo, they fall into two broad categories: locations and topical lists. The locations lists have sometimes sub-divided into finer grained locations, like oxoncotwsalds. But key to this, that came out of a discussion among the existing community. And there was a precedent of local area lists --- it makes natural sense to split up by geography. Language splits among topical lists is another issue, and something we need to think about. And important to note, OSM mailing lists are famously difficult. talk@ is really no model for productive discussion.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron