[HOT] Boosting LearnOSM

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:09:31 UTC 2014

Hi Kate,

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:

> Hi Severin,
>
> Are you happy to switch to Transifex if it means retranslating everything?
> The strings between languages need to be matched up and there isn't a way
> we can do that automatically. This is the major reason we haven't tried to
> do it previously.

Actually LearnOSM is so far made so that all the versions aims at sharing
the same text (other documentatin orjects like FlossManuals have a
different concept, where every translation is a reboot that deeply sticks
with the local context), so it seems (but maybe if digging more it may not
be) that Transifex would fit quite well. My concern is: does Transifex
allows to make suggestion of changes in the master? Eg when I translated
the chapter for conflict resolution in French, I really improved it. I
think a translation includes a dimension of quality control or progress:
when you read, you detect both mistakes and ways of improvement.

> As for the license between the OSM wiki and LearnOSM that is true they are
> not the same. Information can go from LearnOSM to the wiki but not the
> other way because of the share-a-like.

Hmm so the uMap document I am doing from the current short wikipage will
not be a potential new chapter of LearnOSM, as the recent quality control
pages. Pity we would need to redo all this from scratch.