[HOT] Boosting LearnOSM

David Litke dwlitke at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 16:01:36 UTC 2014

Having written some documentation for a GISCorps-OSM project, I would be
happy to help in boosting learning materials for HOT/OSM. However, the
learning curve for the GIT platform has so far prevented me from
contributing much.

Here is my two cents on this topic:

•    Use a platform that focuses on ease of writing rather than on software
manipulations.
•    Use a platform that allows the most lenient copyright license.
•    Do not rely on automatic translation, but rather on forked versions in
each language where each section has primary custodians, but allows managed
crowdsourcing of text.  Individual translators may choose to use those
translation tools with which they are familiar.
•    Develop a topic-orientated Master Contents for the primary (English)
version so that each additional language version follows a similar
structure.

Dave Litke -- GISCorps

>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Rafael Avila Coya
>> <ravilacoya at gmail.com <mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
> Hi all:
>
> I wonder if we can gather some people interested in boosting the
> LearnOSM project. Now that the new Tasking Manager is out, it could
> be really nice to improve the learning/training materials. In my
> opinion, there are at least two points that need to improve:
>
> 1) Translation through git is not a good idea, as it is very
> complicated for most of the people. Would it be possible to carry
> the translation through Transifex, like with the Tasking Manager
> and uMap, for example? Images would be left aside of the
> translation, but there can be an smart way to deal with that.
>
> 2) Reorganize the material, and probably create some more.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rafael.

---