[HOT] Road tracing in North Nigeria and eHealth Africa data imports

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:11:47 UTC 2014

Hi, Pierre:

Thank you for sharing your comments.

We are actually importing the boundaries at the ward level (see for
example this area of Jigawa and Yobe states that have already their
inner boundaries imported to the OSM database:
http://osm.org/go/wSyuEK4-- ) following the corresponding import wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Nigeria_eHealth_Africa_Boundaries
.

About the tagging, we decided to use place=district and addr:district
for LGA's (admin_level 6) and place=municipality and addr:municipality
for the wards (admin_level 8) for consistency with worldwide tagging.

addr:distric redirects to this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District . We found that definition quite
matching what an LGA is in Nigeria. And wards are, for their size, and
discussing with people that have travelled through all these states
for the last 2 years, quite equivalent to what we know as municipality
in European countries.

The other alternative would be to use place=lga plus addr:lga and
place=ward plus addr:ward, but 'lga' is not a documented (and probably
not used at all) tag, and ward looks to be meant for areas inside a
metropolitan area.

We haven't still not used those place and addr: tags so far, and I
wonder if any has used them for address tagging in Nigeria, so any
comments about this (and anything else) are very welcome.

Cheers,

Rafael.