[HOT] London HOT Congo Mapathon, reflection

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:58:17 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I thought the London HOT Congo session went really well! Aside from
the actual mapping, the extremely important thing that we did was (a)
attract (b) inspire (c) teach, plenty of newcomers. Reflecting on
that:

(a) How did we attract so many newcomers, to a "non-CNN" need, on a
bank holiday? Did something special happen? I know a couple of people
mentioned MapAction, and a couple of people mentioned ICT 4
Development. I guess those kind of *non-osm* networks are the ideal
places to circulate info about future events like this.

(b) Ivan from MSF was really inspirational in motivating people. I
myself don't have those kind of contacts, and obviously it's only
people from agencies who positively want HOT to help them who can fill
that first-person role, but, well, I guess keep an eye out for more
Ivans?
    Also, the physical Field Papers that Jorieke brought over from DRC
had a motivational presence too. And so would the Skype connection to
DRC if it had worked!

(c) The format worked well for teaching people - the building-tracing
job was simple enough to grasp, the Field Papers job was available for
keen learners (some newcomers did join in on it), and Nick and I were
useful helping the newcomers one-to-one (as were others of course, ad
hoc).

Congrats to Harry on the organisation -

Best
Dan