[HOT] London HOT Congo Mapathon, reflection

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 23:27:52 UTC 2014

Dan,

You're right, it went extremely well.

I don't know if Harry is able to get contact information for the
attendees from bookings, but it would be interesting to ask them where
they heard about the event. We could also do with feedback - did we meet
their expectations?

I think most, if not all, of the newcomers were working part of the time
on http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/459 & I'm planning to contact who I can
through that task, providing further information. Although it went
extremely well, I felt as if we only scratched the surface in terms of
information provided - needed a handout at the end, but who has time to
prepare them! I'll send them links to the main learning pages in my message.

The field papers tasks for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lubumbashi#Data_table made an
interesting change from the normal mapping & I'd like to see more of
this type of thing available, as it provides a little variety. I think
the system should be refined slightly;

  * If the only thing being added is road names, then less sheets are
    needed in the atlas (on occasion it took a long time for a page to
    load, and there was very little to do when it did).
  * If you zoom out to find the page you have just loaded, you will
    never find it as they are only visible at the lower zoom levels! -
    took me a while to find this out, and it needs adding to the info
    somewhere (LearnOSM & wiki for future jobs)
  * Instead of a written sheet of paper with road names, perhaps a
    simple .txt file with them typed could be provided, which would
    overcome the potential problem with accents & special characters as
    you could just copy & paste.
  * Is somebody checking that there is nothing outstanding?

Thanks are owed to a great many people who made the day such a success.
I don't know many names, so it's better if I just leave it as a general
thanks.

Nice picture in the OSM main page - just glad the pizza I dropped down
my shirt is not visible!

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)