[HOT] Are there any detailed reports or research on the utilization of HOT maps on the ground?

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Sat Nov 1 15:19:02 UTC 2014

In addition to “quantitative data sets or any scientifically executed interviews?” or even anecdotal “The maps helped a lot!”, you can also “appeal to authority”: the US State Department’s Humanitarian Information Unit thinks that humanitarian mapping is so worthwhile that they set up their own “MapGive” page:

http://mapgive.state.gov<http://mapgive.state.gov>

“Map data is key to humanitarian and development missions. MapGive helps new volunteers learn to map and get involved in online tasks.”

The effectiveness of such an appeal will, of course, depend on whether someone trusts the “authority” :-)

— Andy