[HOT] bother adding source=Whatever to each object?

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:51:52 UTC 2014

It's more logical to put it on the changeset.

Like when you draw a building, and add source=bing. But then someone who
lives there gives it a name, and forgets to alter the source, the object
has data that can't be derived from the source. So it's in fact your edit
operation that has a source, not the object itself.

As such, source=Bing is by many mappers preferred on the changeset (also
because it keeps the database a bit smaller).

When you edit with JOSM, you can add the source manually as a tag to the
changeset (which is handy if your source is a survey or offline source). In
iD, it automatically logs the imagery used in the changeset, but you don't
get an option to give other sources (which is why many people still put a
source on the objects).

Regards,
Sander