[HOT] bother adding source=Whatever to each object?

Ray Kiddy ray at ganymede.org
Mon Nov 3 19:01:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 19:51:52 +0100
Sander Deryckere <sanderd17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's more logical to put it on the changeset.
>
> Like when you draw a building, and add source=bing. But then someone
> who lives there gives it a name, and forgets to alter the source, the
> object has data that can't be derived from the source. So it's in
> fact your edit operation that has a source, not the object itself.

I had wondered about this when I saw multiple source values on an
object. I mean, which other attributes came from which source?
Technically the source should map to the subset of the attributes that
were observed from that source, but in real life, I would have no idea
how that could be presented in a way anyone would understand.

> As such, source=Bing is by many mappers preferred on the changeset
> (also because it keeps the database a bit smaller).

> When you edit with JOSM, you can add the source manually as a tag to
> the changeset (which is handy if your source is a survey or offline
> source). In iD, it automatically logs the imagery used in the
> changeset, but you don't get an option to give other sources (which
> is why many people still put a source on the objects).

So I understand this to mean that if you are putting in an object from
the imagery in front of you, you do not need to do anything else. I am
not seeing that iD is attaching this anywhere but I may not be looking
in the right place. But as long as the database sees it, I do not need
to.

Take away point, I do not need to set the source 100 times and I am
good with that.

cheers - ray