[HOT] bother adding source=Whatever to each object?

Pat Tressel ptressel at myuw.net
Mon Nov 3 23:21:21 UTC 2014

There was another thread relating to this a short while ago, so there's
more relevant discussion there.

Two notes:

The source tag can hold other info besides imagery, e.g. it could tell who
or what agency provided some item of information.  The iD imagery_used tag
is more specific.  But historically, source has been used for imagery too.

With respect to whether the source / imagery_used tag should go on features
or changeset:  I raised this question at the end of the previous thread on
this subject.  We don't want to lose the fact that something was traced
with use of a particular set of imagery if someone edits a feature.  Let's
take one specific case:  Say that someone enters a feature (say it's one
point, just to be clear) using one set of imagery, and the imagery_used tag
gets assigned to the changeset.  If someone later shifts that point, while
using a different set of imagery, is it still possible to get back to the
original changeset from the modified point?

-- Pat