[HOT] [Tag] landuse=residential in rural and urban areas

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:51:50 UTC 2014

My previous message leads me to a more generic question.

In http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767 and maybe some other project,
the instructions reads:
"Settlements:
Trace polygon around clusters of houses. Tag with landuse=residential"

I feel these instructions are related to rural areas. They can be
misunderstood in the context of urban areas. In this project we are
also mapping inside Bamako, very urban and very dense.

What about urban areas? What is the good pratice, the recommended size
for landuse=residential in Bamako and other African big cities?
* Only one huge outline landuse=residential around the whole city
* By neighborhoods?
* Cut by main roads (arteries of the city)
* Block by block

As I map and review I see almost every case.

Has this been discussed or documented already?

althio