[HOT] [Tag] landuse=residential in rural and urban areas

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 21:34:16 UTC 2014

My own practice for large urban areas (last experience was a Canadian
city rather than a HOT task) is to carve them up into multiple
landuse=residential areas, bounding them on roads or other landuse
types. As much as possible, though, I avoid actually making the
boundaries/roads touch each other, because of bad experiences correcting
boundaries from imagery -- if the boundaries touch you have to detach
them before you can correct the ones in error. Thew implication is that
there is, say, a meter of unlabelled space between one entity and the
next, but I can't see that mattering.

Tom Taylor