[HOT] [Tag] #767 - Mali, Bamako

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Sun Nov 23 18:16:40 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I haven't had a look at the area so I can be wrong, but having lived for
years in Sahelian cities *I would *NOT* use leisure=garden*, as this is
all but for leisure.
In western African cities these garden serve the essential use of
feeding people.
All the fresh fruits and vegetables you find on markets in these cities
are locally produced.
Fridges, transportation and all the logistics we are used to in Europe
or the USA to bring fresh stuff into our cities from all corners of the
world (with an obvious environmental impact...) are simply not reliable
when transposed to Africa.
Hence the need for local production.
And again they are not into "leisure gardening" this is a serious and
for many a full-time activity, their jobs.

This said, many thanks to you all for your contribution. The map has
greatly improved in this region of the world recently, and weren't be
me, my comment would have been brought forward or things amended by some
members of the young but dynamic OSM local chapters. They too are doing
tremendous work mapping in difficult conditions (logistics, again, and
for some political unrest, other threats like uncontrolled armed groups
or Ebola...).
Their contribution is of great value as you will agree there is nothing
like on-site expertise.

Rod

On 23/11/14 17:16, althio forum wrote:
> Hi Blake and HOT
>
> Thank you for your insight.
> I will try to follow your advice on "make that a proper multi polygon".
> I realize 'small gardens' is a bit of a stretch.
> These few parcels are less than 100 m x 100 m with crop patches
> typically of 10 to 20 m so I thought they might be some kind of
> collective urban gardens.
>
> But I don't know how to tag this.
> [... search in google ...
> found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_gardening ...
> ... searching in the wiki ...
> found http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security#Community_gardens]
> OK I have been lazy! ;) That fits quite well:
>

>     Community gardens
>
> These are patches of land usually covering one or two city blocks
> where community members can grow their own produce on an individual
> plot.garden:type
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:garden:type&action=edit&redlink=1>=* is
> relatively well-used (see taginfo
> <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/garden%3Atype>) and we include
> it here to make the garden explicitly a community garden, not simply a
> garden that is in a city and might be publicly accessed.
>
>   * leisure <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure>=garden
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden>
>   * garden:type
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:garden:type&action=edit&redlink=1>=community
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:garden:type%3Dcommunity&action=edit&redlink=1>
>   * access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>=*
>

> So I can leave it as landuse=farmland knowing the small surface speaks
> for itself.
> Second option is leisure=garden + garden:type=community.
>
> What do you reckon?
>

> Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com <mailto:bgirardot at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Oh I don't know. I don't think what I see classifies as "small
> > gardens" especially when grouped into contiguous parcels.
> >
> > Considering how basically well mapped it is, I would just fix up the
> > tags and in at least one example:
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/12.612812/-7.978442 make that a
> > proper multi polygon.
>

> You are right that 'farm' is deprecated. And also from the wiki:
> landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=farmland
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmland>: for farm
> land (i.e. areas used for tillage and pasture; animals, vegetables,
> flowers, fruit growing).
> landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=farmyard
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmyard>: for area
> with farm buildings (like farmhouses, dwellings, farmsteads, sheds,
> stables, barns, equipment sheds, feed bunkers, etc.)
>
> Knowing that,
> I would then use landuse=farmyard for the yard of the bigger farms;
> [...]

Rod Béra,  MCF Géomatique                /   Lecturer, Geomatics
            et SIG pour l'Environnement  /    and Environmental GIS
Agrocampus-Ouest|65 r.Saint-Brieuc|CS84215|35042 Rennes cedex|France
+33 (0) 223 48 5553 - roderic.bera at agrocampus-ouest.fr