[HOT] [Tag] #767 - Mali, Bamako

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 17:57:31 UTC 2014

Hi Rod, hi HOT,

Thank you Rod for your message. It really helps to know what may exist and
what may not be on the ground.
What I am trying to do here is a 2-step process:
1* feature identification
2* suitable tagging

First the identification...

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Rod Bera <rod at goarem.org> wrote:

> I haven't had a look at the area so I can be wrong, but having lived for
> years in Sahelian cities [...]

If you could have a look at the area, you might be able to recognize the
feature in a blink? That would be also very useful to me. A bit of
certainty is always welcome.

Now to the tagging.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Rod Bera <rod at goarem.org> wrote:

>  *I would *NOT* use leisure=garden*, as this is all but for leisure.
> In western African cities these garden serve the essential use of feeding
> people. [...]
> they are not into "leisure gardening" this is a serious and for many a
> full-time activity, their jobs.

Rod you are opposed to leisure=garden and Pierre is surprised by
landuse=farmland.
There is the mapping project
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapping_projects> focusing on Food
security:

   - *Food security:* Volunteers are mapping and tagging sources of
   healthy, safe, and nutritious food, including urban gardening resources.
   See the Food security
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security> page
   for ideas.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security#Community_gardens [where
community members can grow their own produce]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security#Urban_farms [where
typically a single grower produces food to sell or distribute to the
community]
>From the Food security mapping project page I got this list of potential
tags.
* leisure=garden + garden:type=community OR (discussion of better proposal?)
 landuse=allotments

> * landuse=farmland + [shop=farm] (if produce is sold onsite)

Rod: I would suggest you could voice your opinion on the discussion page or
edit the page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Food_security#Community_gardens>
if you think that 'leisure=garden + garden:type=community' is not a
suitable proposal.

I am specifically asking for expertise here and I would humbly receive any
on-site knowledge. Unfortunately there is only a limited number of
meaningful and established tags in OSM and everyone has to deal with it,
even people involved in mapping for Food security.

For the time being this feature is at least partly identified and is tagged
landuse=farmland.
Maybe landuse=allotments can be considered.

All the best.

althio