[HOT] Where to start?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:58:04 UTC 2014

That makes a lot of sense.  I think there is a need for better meta data if
that is the term, if we are mapping from satellite or even Bing sometimes
it is not clear if something is a track, a footpath, or an unpaved road so
some guidance on how to tag might be useful.   My personal preference would
be highway=unclassified, anything else is more a guess even if its an
intelligent one.  Yes I can see there are guidelines for Highway_Tag_Africa
but from imagery it can be difficult to decide exactly the right one.

Huts? I've tagged building=house again really it needs some guidelines /
standard to be more useful.

HOT tasks with high detail imagery are probably the ones that mappers can
work more quickly and accurately on, cloudy Bing Satellite might be in the
right place but given the resources available I'd go for the high detail
imagery ones every time.

Perhaps what we need are teams? with a project leader to keep on top of
what is happening and to select the next bit to map even the images
available, the importance and the capabilities of the mappers.

Cheerio John