[HOT] RICE - HOTOSM - identification of plantations

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:32:28 UTC 2014

Blake and Sergio,

Excellent job both of you in tracking down and researching this
information.  This kind of resourcefulness is what is needed to
properly map these places where we have no access to for ground
surveys.  This kind of work, and especially the sharing it with
others, adds to the collective knowledge of HOT as an organisation
allowing us to better respond to this activation and many others.
Food security is an issue in almost every activation in one way or
another, so knowing how to map such staple things as cassava and rice
fields is important.

As far as mapping these go, I would suggest landuse=farmland and then
crop=rice.  This seems to be the way they are tagged according to taginfo.

I don't think we need to make a job yet to map them specifically, but
I would suggest beginning to map them "opportunistically".  Meaning,
if you are mapping something else and happen across one it doesn't
hurt to map it just so others can begin to see what they look like.
This is similar to what we have been doing with orchards and cassava
plantations as well.  In the coming months food security is looking
like it will be our next major concern for this area so beginning to
map these will be worthwhile; even if they are not a priority at the
current time.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

- -AndrewBuck