[HOT] allow more aggressive caching for tasks.hotosm.org

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 25 19:12:12 UTC 2014

Hi Florian,
It is an important point to look at with all the african among other contributors having slow internet connections.

If you have a github account, you can open a ticket at https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/
 Pierre

      De : Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>
 À : HOT at openstreetmap.org
 Envoyé le : Samedi 25 octobre 2014 14h39
 Objet : [HOT] allow more aggressive caching for tasks.hotosm.org

Hi,
i have been looking at my squid logs lately and discovered that for
example the HOT task manager trys very hard to make static content
uncacheable - for example this (line from my squid cache):

1414261472.792  6464 192.168.177.157 TCP_MISS/200 95271 GET http://tasks.hotosm.org/static/js/lib/jquery-1.7.2.min.js? - DIRECT/144.76.31.210 application/javascript

The "?" at the end of the URL causes this static content to be uncachable.

There are lots more examples which causes the web page to be much
slower than it needs to be. There are alternative ways to control
cachability of content on client side.

PLEASE - Use expire headers, timestamps or paths for
controlling caches.

I am living with a 384kbit/s connection and stuff like this makes
life a lot slower - also for people in desaster areas who most likely
fight for every kbit/s they can squeeze out of some flaky GSM link.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                f at zz.de