[HOT] Validating & TM2 - providing feedback to new mappers

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 02:26:12 UTC 2014

On 8/31/2014 10:09 PM, maning sambale wrote:
> There was a discussion several months ago proposing irc like client for
> each job.  I think embedding synchronous communication for each job is a
> good approach to providing real-time feedback to those working on a
> specific project/job.
>
> For some prior art, check out MapCraft [0].  Related tickets [1 and 2]
>
> [0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapCraft
> [1] https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager/issues/148
> [2] https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager/issues/40

I think irc type channel per job might be to few people to help. The
traffic in the current #hot irc channel is very sparse as it is.

If we could get new people and experienced people together now in the
current hot irc channel that would be good progress, if for some reason
it turned out to be over crowded we could look at a per
project/activation/country channel breakout of some sort.

But if things get too fine grained you lose some of the benefit of a
group exchange.

Most of the questions I see (and have) are not specific to a project or
task, but just to being a new mapper in general, which anyone could
probably answer.

Now I have visions of a josm irc plugin so the irc channel could just be
a panel on the left.