[HOT] West Africa Ebola Activation : follow-up

Pierre BĂ©land pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 2 22:45:55 UTC 2014

>From march to sept. 1,  there are 1,201 OSM contributors who edited 6.7 million objects for Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.  But reading the news, you understand that we cannot stop there. Humanitarian organizations are operating in a very difficult context and count on our support. We receive constantly messages of gratitude, people saying how useful is this information for them plus all the export services provided.

Plus a vast plan of support by the various UN Agencies is presently organized. Andrew Buck and I ha today a meeting with GIS staff from  World Health Organization (WHO), Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the World food program (WFP). After
looking at the various possibilities, it has been proposed to use
OpenStreetMap for the base map of the various agencies.

In this context, it will be important to revise / complete both administrative boundaries and populated places.

To plan their intervention, the humanitarian organizations need administrative boundaries at various levels of administration and the Populated place names. We have already revised the  the counties and added district boundaries for the Liberia and are looking at the other countries.

If any of you have contacts in Sierra Leone or Guinea to try obtain administrative boundary files with the appropriate license for OSM, this would greatly help.

For the populated places, we agreed to move any place name which is on a residential polygon to a node. This will simplify the synchronization with the databases of our various partners. We are also looking at adding a pcode like we did for Haii in 2010. There are 4,500 place tags on residential polygons to be converted to nodes.

Plus there are two Task Manager jobs still to be completed to import place names for Liberia and Sierra Leone. These two tasks needs some care and we are asking again for contributors familiar enough with JOSM to contact either me or Andrew. Since these are private jobs restricted to a few persons, you need to provide us you OpenStreetMap account.
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/617
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/619

Blake Girardot can also help people to learn this process.

For those that prefer to do general mapping, digitizing from Bing Imagery, look at the task for Eastern Liberia counties. As the epidemy is still progressing, we will also add task for the north-east Nimba county.
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/624

Pierre