[HOT] Houses or buildings with no roof in W Africa mapping

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 17:07:17 UTC 2014

On 9/13/2014 12:59 PM, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> Hi, Blake,
>
> I thought some of them were walled areas around buildings (common in
> urban areas). At any rate I did not trace them as buildings. However, it
> would be a good idea to have some examples in the wiki.

Yes, they are hard to tease out, especially in cities like Monrovia. I
will get examples of them for the wiki

> For me another marker of actual buildings is patched corrugated roofs.
> At first it was confusing (little squares, some pale, some dark), but it
> seems that usually it is a building. Examples of these in the wiki would
> be helpful.

Same here, I just recently did some Monrovia mapping and it took a
little while before it dawned on me the patchwork roofs, which could
sometimes look like a building without a roof. I will get examples of
them for the wiki

> Often there are smaller rectangular objects around a building. Sometimes
> they look like fenced areas, sometimes outbuildings, but it's not clear.
> Is it possible to get some guidance on those? Do people have outhouses
> in the city? Do they have chicken coops? Do people usually fence or wall
> their properties?

Good questions, I don't know any of the answers :)