[HOT] URGENT: Need OSMand files for Nepal

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:50:19 UTC 2015

> So I'm pouring over this information.  I guess what I'm missing - what
> should I look for to determine how roads, airfields, etc. have been
> affected by the earthquake and aftershocks?  I work for logisticians, so
> they're curious how they would move stuff (air/land/waterways).

A more precise answer is that we don't have that level of information
*yet *(particularly
blocked roads/etc)*;* but as new imagery and others in the field become
available it will start to be collected.

Priorities tend to be road network first, followed by buildings;
residential areas, etc and other requests by organizations on the ground.

I think we've been requested this time to cover some potential helicopter
landing sites, though it's unclear how effective that is (past activations
have captured this, but some have been overgrown, etc by the time people
got there - uh, anyone with a less anecdotal recollection of this, please
chime in!).

A good way to preview some of the data is a tool called "overpass turbo".

Some quick examples:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/91y - landuse=residential
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/91z - amenity=hospital
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/91A - amenity=fuel (gas station most of the time)
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/91B - aeroways (airfields, helipads, etc)

This gives you a preview of what can be done in heavier weight tools with
full data dumps; and the "wizard" makes it fairly easy to query/export/etc.

To help work out what kinds of tags you want to look for beyond the stuff
mentioned in the wiki:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/

In terms of damage to those facilities,
http://kathmandulivinglabs.org/earthquake/main may be the best bet for
getting reports; though it won't necessarily focus on the specifics places
you are interested in.