[HOT] Probing interest in HA/DR Intelligence Exercise

Dion Houston dionhouston at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:01:10 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I discovered this list during the Nepal Earthquake situation, and it
provided a lot of key information we needed as part of the U.S. government
response.  As a bit of background, I'm the Deputy Intelligence Officer for
the 8th Theater Sustainment Command, the highest level U.S. Army
logistics/sustainment command for the Pacific Command Area of Operations.
Our unit has responded to multiple disasters in the region.

For those unfamiliar with the role of intelligence, in HA/DR scenarios we
provide analysis on weather, terrain, and other things that can affect
operations.  Depending on the location, we also assist with the security of
our forces.

This year, we had our second intelligence exercise called PERSPICUOUS
PROVIDER here in Hawaii.  We had subordinate sustainment and military
police units, as well as simulated engineering assets, and other units.
Next year we would like to expand the focus to more properly simulate a
complete U.S. response to a large scale incident.

Because this is an intelligence exercise, I think some participation from
the HOT community would be useful.  The plus side to us is we can train our
personnel with realistic data and experiences from people and organizations
who have "walked the walk."  The plus side to the community is you have the
ability to improve the way coordinate efforts for the next combined relief
effort.  For example, we have military cartographers who will be
participating.

Right now this is in the seeing if there is any interest stage.  The
exercise is (very) tentatively set for the first week in February 2016 at
Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. If you have any interest in becoming involved
(either in planning or participating), please let me know.  My official
mail is dion.a.houston.mil at mail.mil .  A write up of this years exercise is
at:
http://www.army.mil/article/144136/Intelligence_Soldiers_focus_on_sustainment_and_humanitarian_aid_situations/
(I'm in the forefront on the second picture!)

Thanks!

Dion