[HOT] Questions regarding Missing Maps Mapping Party in the Netherlands

Jorieke Vyncke jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:20:02 UTC 2015

Hello Willy,

Just some of my thoughts:

In Antwerp we used JOSM because we had loads of time. It takes maybe a
little longer to install JOSM, but teaching and learning how to map is on
the same level. You only have more mapping possibilities with JOSM... On
the installation, when everybody is arriving at the mapathon and setting up
his computer, you can let the participants already install JOSM and make
them create a login before the 'real training' starts.

If you are not sure about the stability of the internet connection it might
also be better to use JOSM, because for ID you need all the time a stable
internet connection.

Further; are people bringing their own laptops or not? If you are planning
to work on fixed computers it might be better to work with ID, because in a
lot of universities, companies, etc. there are restrictions in installing
JOSM or other software on their computers. So if you plan to work with JOSM
on fixed computers it might be good check and to install JOSM already on
every computer of the room. If you plan to work with ID, you shouldn't have
any problems.

But one of the main important things is: what is your favourite mapping
editor? Because this editor you probably can explain the best. Besides you,
as teacher, you also need some 'helpers' who can stand behind the mappers
who are trying to follow what you are explaining. In my opinion it's the
best to have at least 1 person behind 6 or 7 participants, to guide them in
the mapping. So these people also need to master ID or JOSM.

Please inform me about what you decided, so we can share some more advice
with you

And for the validation, I absolutely follow Dan. :-)

Groetjes, Jorieke