[HOT] WRI forest tracks import in Congo Basin

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:29:57 UTC 2015

Hi, John:

On 09/02/15 17:33, john whelan wrote:
> Just a comment having done a fair bit of HOT mapping in Cameroon
> I'm quite interested in this project.  However my written French is
> a little rusty and in some ways I feel a bit isolated from the OSM
> mappers in Cameroon and a few mappers on the ground to tag would
> help enormously.

I will contact the Cameroon OSM community for this.

> Also a few GPS traces on the majors roads would help.  Most roads
> are fine but cloud cover meant that there are gaps to say the
> least.

GPS traces will definitely help. In Gabon Digital Globe lowres imagery
is misaligned by easily 200 m. Interesting too, we have now Mapbox
images in some areas, with no clouds in areas where bing has.

> I note that there are a number of existing roads in OSM that look
> like imports that did not seem to align with the high resolution
> satellite imagery.

I noted them too. Some are from WRI, maybe imported from before the
imports guidelines.

Cheers,

Rafael.

> Cheerio John
>
> On 9 February 2015 at 10:32, Rafael Avila Coya
> <ravilacoya at gmail.com <mailto:ravilacoya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi list:
>
> This is a call for comments on an import of WRI data for 6
> countries in the Congo Basin (Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Central
> African Rep. (CAR), Gabon, Dem. Rep. of Congo (DRC) and Republic of
> Congo). It seems that only Cameroon and, maybe, DRC have a local
> community, so that's why I ask for advice here before going to the
> imports list. This same email will be sent to talk-cm and talk-cm
> (Cameroon), talk-cd (DRC) and talk-cf (CAR), so sorry for
> duplicities.
>
> All import is explained in a wiki [1] (with links to the original
> files, importing files and scripts), and the actual (manual)
> import workflow explained in another wiki [2].
>
> Import will be done using one HOT TM job for each country, and will
> be validated afterwards by a group of volunteers, who will add
> more tracks and other (yet to be decided) features.
>
> Any feedback is highly welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rafael.
>
> [1]