[HOT] Task manager description/instructions #591

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:32:56 UTC 2015

Hi Laura and welcome to HOT mapping!

On 1/2/2015 3:14 PM, Laura Green wrote:
> Hoping this is the right forum for this question and comment: I'm trying to contribute to "#591 South Sudan Crisis, Cholera outbreak in Juba, mapping with WorldView-2 imagery". I'm not sure I understand the instructions, especially regarding the imagery.

This is exactly the right place to ask anything about HOT mapping.

> Might someone be able to clarify the instructions shown on the HOT page please?
>
> I *think* it means (for JOSM users, not sure if it applies to ID):
>
> 1) please map roads, streets, buildings, walls, water streams and canals.
> 2) disregard the automatic imagery that downloads when you contribute, download Bing imagery instead.
> 3) Bing imagery is now aligned correctly (as of date xxx), so please realign or redraw vector data to match the Bing imagery.

This applies to ID and JOSM, the task will load WorldView imagery for
either editor.

I think you have the directions basically correct, but as I read them
now my understanding is this:

1. Start editing a task.
2. Load the Bing imagery (now 2013 images). (In JOSM do not use the
alignment database plugin settings, they are no long needed for Bing
imagery)
3. Make sure some buildings and roads are mapped correctly using the
Bing imagery. Move or map some new ones to match Bing.
4. Then load the WorldView imagery (2014 imagery).
5. Background align the WorldView imagery to match what you just mapped
in using the Bing imagery if needed.
6. Carry on mapping using the WorldView imagery after you have aligned
it or checked its alignment.

Just make sure you use the Bing imagery as the reference. So you would
not do any background image alignment with the Bing imagery. If
buildings or roads were not well matched to the Bing imagery you could
redraw them to match the Bing imagery.

Once you have drawn some buildings and roads using the Bing imagery, you
would then display the WorldView imagery and do the background image
alignment to make the WorldView imagery match up with what you drew
using the Bing imagery if that is needed. That process is what it means
to use the Bing imagery as the reference imagery: You map some with
Bing, then align any other imagery to what you mapped using the Bing
imagery.

> ...but I may be misinterpreting the description/instructions.
>
> I’d like to comment generally about the hot task manager descriptions/instructions:
>
> Unless indicated as "Expert only" at the very beginning of an activation page, I'm assuming all activations are for the general public to contribute to? The "whys and wherefores" and technical information I feel are often getting in the way of plain and simple  guidance as to what is required, so people can just get on with it, and not have to hunt for the pertinent information.  Plainly worded bullet points would be ideal. Any "nice to know" information could be provided below this.

You are right on each point here. It is a challenge though with many
different people creating directions for Projects. It is too easy to
forget not everyone knows what "vector data" is. And there is the issue
that not everyone is a native speaker of the language the directions
might be written in.

We are working to create some standard sets of directions in English for
things like drawing buildings and roads, aligning imagery, etc that a
Project creator could _optionally_ choose to use. That will help with
some of the inconsistent directions.

Thank you very much for helping map and please let us know if you have
any further questions.

cheers,
Blake