[HOT] Mapping in Dhaka, Bangladesh!

Jorieke Vyncke jorieke.vyncke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 18:52:59 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

First of all thanks a lot for mapping in the Bangladesh tasks! It will be
of great help!

And indeed, I should have made it clearer in the presentation. I'll try to
do a review tomorrow.
In big follow the instructions of althio:

for appartment and other large buildings --> * building=yes*
for big individual trees which serve as landmark  -->  *natural=tree*
but also bushes and a bunch of trees together which too serve as landmarks
--> *natural=wood*
for open areas it is okay to map --> *leisure=common*     * (but you can
use also a landcover <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover>tag for
open areas like -->  natural=sand    or     landuse=grass)*

Further remarks and clarification:

- on buildings; indeed it would be good to collect the levels but don't put
effort in it for now. We first need the base map of roads and big
landmarks. This is essential to do mapping on the ground.
- In this case building=construction is also not recommended. Every day
things are changing here. Besides this, buildings under construction have
often already inhabitants. Often they are just building one more floor on
top of the existing building. (Think back to the catastrophe in Rana Plaza
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Savar_building_collapse>, you get
buildings ready to collapes anytime by building like this...) So just stick
with building=yes for now.
- the leisure=common tag we try to adjust this one during the mapping on
the ground

If you need more clarifications, if you have questions or if you have ideas
to make all this even more smoothly, please give us a sign!

Best greetings,

Jorieke