[HOT] Quarterly Newsletter?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:23:57 UTC 2015

I think a couple of suggestions would be since HOT is international have
articles written in people's first language with a translation underneath
to English, and secondly ask Katja  very nicely to come up with a basic
framework design using the some logo as the web site and I suggest the same
font as well.  The reason for the first language comment is a post in
French by one of the project managers recently, it really flows much better
than similar posts by them in English.

Once you have the basic framework or design sorted out then its a much
simpler matter to be an editor.  Having been a newsletter editor many years
ago I found it is difficult to maintain the number of articles once the
initial rush is over which is why I might shy away from once a month.  The
framework is important, I suggest an article by an NGO or other aid agency,
one on how to use some feature of iD, one on how to use some feature of
JOSM.  One on walking papers and even perhaps GPS tracks and the problems
near tall buildings.  A note from El Presidente would that be Heather?  A
bit of OSM history, how we have changed the way we map over time, I even
have a GARMIN something or other lying around on the shelf which shows how
long I've been mapping and a bit on how OSM works.  Another would be an
article on Nepal and the problems we had coping with large numbers of new
mappers and how we are thinking of changing the task manager as a result of
these.

To me the main target is people who have mapped once or twice to keep in
touch so as to bring them back in for a crisis, it lessens the training
load for a start, and secondly to see if we can interest some of the less
active mappers into doing a little more mapping from time to time.

Cheerio John