[HOT] HOT] paths, tracks and unclassified in West Africa

Andrew Patterson andrewvhp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 21:38:31 UTC 2015

Whilst I fully accept the concept of open debate in an attempt to reach a
consensus, I do find the current discussion less than helpful, because of
the range of definitions being thrown out, and the added geographic
dimension to the definitions.  This is not helped by the variety in advise
in the instructions for various tasks - ranging from "if in doubt mark it
as a path, and this can be upgraded by someone on the ground" to much more
specific instructions in the Nepalese instructions, for example.  But the
type of terrain in which one might contemplate a 4 wheel drive in Africa is
very different to that regularly used in Nepal.

Surely if must be possible to come to a conclusion for a generic set of
definitions.  I rather support John Whelan's breakdown, where he suggests
that "if its to a small group of huts its probably a track, if
its to narrow for a 4X4 and winds its a path, and if I can see two wheel
​
tracks then its a track unless its between two settlements of reasonable
size then its unclassified
​"​
.

​There was a huge correspondence in a similar vein during the early days of
the Nepal disaster, which I found to be a real disincentive to contributing
during the first couple of weeks, and I have only latterly started working
on task.  There has also been an impressive and important Post Mortem
exercise to improve things, and I would suggest that the size of the preset
list is one area in which some serious pruning could be done with
consequent increase in transparency to a new comer

Andrew

--
Andrew Patterson

The information contained in this e-mail and any
files transmitted with it is confidential and intended for the addressee
only.